It’s #WhatsCookinWednesday and what could be better than this #WhatsCookinWednesday Keto Chicken Pot Pie I thought about saving this one for one of those bitter winter months because it is nice and hearty, but didn’t want to wait. You get to enjoy crust and everything after all!
I don’t have alot to say about this one. The crust is a little difficult to make but oh so worth it.
Let’s get started!
Serves 8. Each serving comes out to be 522 Calories, 36.4g Fat, 6.7g Net Carbs, and 33.3g Protein.
Crust (1 1/2 recipe Savory Keto Pie Crust) – this means you’ll need:
- 3 cups pork rinds, powdered (150 g / 5.3 oz) – you can make your own
- 1 1/2 cup almond flour (150 g / 5.3 oz)
- 1/4 cup + 3 tbsp flaxmeal (60 g / 2.1 oz)
- 3 large eggs, free-range or organic
- 1/2 tsp salt if using unsalted pork rinds (I like pink Himalayan)
- 5 chicken thighs (500 g / 17.6 oz / 1.1 lb)
- 1 cup green beans (200 g / 7.1 oz)
- 1 medium carrot (70 g / 2.5 oz)
- 1/2 medium celeriac (130 g / 4.6 oz)
- 1 large onion (150 g / 5.3 oz)
- 1/2 cup butter or ghee – you can make your own (110 g / 4 oz)
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream (120 ml / 4 fl oz) – it might work with coconut milk too but I haven’t tried it
- 1 quart water or chicken stock, enough to cover the chicken and vegetables (1 l)
- 2 tbsp freshly chopped parsley
- 1/2 salt or to taste (I like pink Himalayan)
- Prepare the Savory Keto Crust by following this recipe. – just make 1 1/2 the amount of the recipe to have enough crust for the top of the pie. Only use 2/3 of the dough to press in the pan – leave the rest for the top of the pie and keep it in the fridge.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes (see detailed instructions here). When the pie crust is done, remove from the oven and let it cool down. When cooled, loosen the crust from the edges and bottom – use a sharp knife if needed.
- Meanwhile, dice the chicken thighs, peel and slice the carrot. Peel and dice the celeriac and cut the green beans into thirds.
- Place everything into a saucepan and add the water and salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce to medium-low, cover with a lid anWhen done, remove from the oven and set aside for 10-15 minutes before serving. Enjoy!d cook for 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, peel and finely chop the onion. Place on a pan with all of the butter (or ghee) and cook over a medium heat until caramelized. This can take up to 15 minutes – mix to prevent burning.
- Preheat the oven to 200 °C/ 400 °F. When the chicken & vegetables are cooked, pour the stock through a sieve and keep the vegetables and meat in the pot – set aside.
- Pour the cream into the pan with onion and stir to combine well. Add 1/4cup – 3/4 cup of the chicken & vegetable stock and mix well. When done, season with salt and set aside. Keep the remaining stock for another recipe.
First time I made the pie, I only used 1/4 cup of the stock, the second time it was 1/2cup which I personally preferred. The pie was not too dry and not too soggy either.
- Roll out the remaining dough for the top or the pie. You’ll need to place the dough between two pieces of parchment paper while rolling to avoid tearing the dough. Try to achieve a round shape that will fit the pie.
- Place the drained chicken & vegetables into the pie crust. Add freshly chopped parsley and pour in the creamed onion and spread evenly over the topping.
- Top with the remaining rolled out dough and press towards the edges.
- Using a knife, make several small slits in the top to allow steam to escape. Place in the oven and bake for about 30 minutes.
- When done, remove from the oven and set aside for 10-15 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
Enjoy and I won’t be mad at you if you bring me some!
My name is Len Benoit and I’m the owner/trainer at Fit 1 in Toronto/Etobicoke. I didn’t invent this delicious #WhatscookinWednesday Keto Chicken Pot Pie, I spied it on ketodietapp.com, but I will enjoy it right along with the rest of you. If you liked this one then there are a lot of delicious recipes just right for chicken. Check them out. If you are looking for gyms in Etobicoke or Toronto and want more information about my Women’s and Co-Ed Bootcamp, Youth Sportfit Program, or Personal Training classes, give me a call at 647-776-7776 or visit the website at www.fit1bootcamp.com. Come in for a FREE 7-Day Trial membership if you are friends with one of our members, if not, head on over to the website to learn more about our 28 Day Quick Start Challenge and find out why FIT is right for you!