Sit Up Straight!
Our #Makeyourselfbetter Monday Self-Improvement Tip of the Week
Poor posture can trigger neck and back pain, headaches, deplete your energy levels, and put you in a bad mood. Just standing or sitting up straight can trick your mind into thinking that something positive has happened, so you feel more confident and energetic. Instinctively, when something bad happens we often slouch and roll our head forward, but when we make ourselves stand or sit up straight, we can tap into our positive energy sources!
Here are some top techniques for maintaining good posture while you are sitting at work, from Dr Kenneth Hansraj’s book “Keys to an Amazing Life: Secrets of the Cervical Spine”
1. Set a timer: When you know you’ll be sitting for hours, set a quiet alarm for every 30 to 60 minutes reminding you to stand up and shake off the tension in your limbs for a few minutes
2. Plant your feet: Avoid crossing your legs or ankles for an extended period of time, otherwise your pelvis will be out of alignment and may negatively affect your entire body.
3. Bed your knees naturally: Allow for a 1 to 2 inch gap between your knees and the back of the seat.
4. Lumbar support: nestle a small pillow or lumbar support behind your lower back to keep it slightly arched and reduce pressure on your spine.
5. Relax your shoulders: If you are typing, hold your forearms parallel to the ground to keep your shoulders from rolling forward.
6. Balance your noggin’: Avoid jutting your chin forward, which is hard to do when you’re in front of a computer. Pushing your chin out strains the discs and joints of your upper vertibrae.
7. Most importantly, strengthen the muscles around your spine, and strengthen the back, shoulders, and core, all of which support healthy and pain-free posture. At Fit1 Bootcamps we aim to build strength to support our members in their every day activities and work life. Exercises like shoulder blade squeezes, shoulder presses, pushups (on the knees or feet), rows, and pull-ups all help to strengthen the important muscles around your spine.
You’re only one workout away from a good mood, enhanced self-esteem, and improved fitness! Join the Fit1 Bootcamp team in our Etobicoke gym for classes year round, indoors in the winter, and indoors and outdoors in the summer.
Co-Ed Bootcamp Classes in Etobicoke, Toronto
Monday, Wednesday, Friday: 7:00am – 8:00am, 6:30pm – 7:30pm
Tuesday, Thursday: 6:00am
Saturday: Karma Classes (minimum $5 donation to abilitygives.org) 9:00am
Women Only Bootcamp Classes in Etobicoke, Toronto
Monday, Wednesday, Friday: 9:30am-10:30am
Personal Training in Etobicoke, Toronto. Available 7 Days Per Week By Appointment