5 Simple Steps to Stay Focused on Your Goal
5 simple steps to stay focused on your goal. Chances are when you started your nutritional or fitness program you started with a goal in mind. The first step to reaching a goal is to have one, and then you must define it in a way that allows it to be compelling enough to capture your attention. However, even when you have a goal that you find compelling it can sometimes be difficult to stay focused on the fulfillment of the goal because it can be hard to stay focused on the reason.
Many of us blame outside circumstances like time, work, and other life responsibilities. The reality is that what you place your attention on, your focus, you draw nearer too.
Despite our gravest intention, without the proper attention and focus on our goal, it can be a challenge to stay on track!
Did you know that over 50% of all people start out the new year with a goal? It’s now February, and the new year has barely passed and yet statistically speaking 78% of those who have created a goal have already failed to maintain the goal they set for themselves.
While these are dire statistics, I am here to tell you that even now it is not too late. Just hit the reset button and start again. Only this time, I am going to give you some simple steps to help you to stay focused on your goal so that you can realize that person that you are to become as a result of reaching your goal.
Stay focused on your goal and make significant progress by following these steps:
- Narrow your focus. Instead of trying to focus on ALL of the things that you have to change or do to reach your goal, concentrate on 1-3 things that you can do to move closer to your goal. You see we tend to try to make too many changes all at once, and then fail to be able to keep up with it because we do not have a concentrated focus. Select 1 specific action step and make that a habit. Then add to that only once you have made that into a habit.
- Positive Attention. Reaching your goals happens in the mind before it exists in reality. Your mind has to believe it is true and in order to do that you must focus your attention in a positive way. You can do this by placing your focus on the person that you will become as a result of reaching your goal. What does that future self-look like, feel like, take action on. What does that future person choose to eat (now)? How does that future person (now) choose to exercise? Be that future person now in thought and action!
- Keep a progress journal. No matter what your goal entails it is important to keep a journal. If your goal is to lose weight through diet and exercise, make sure you track what foods that you consume. If your goal requires exercise track the type and amount that you put in each and every day. This will ensure that you are focused on the goal and also provide valuable information on what things are helping you move closer to your goal.
- Accountability and Support. Understand this, we all need accountability and support. Nurture and maintain relationships with those who share and support your goals. I’ve found that my group classes allow members to develop relationships with like-minded (and liked goals) individuals. Being a part of an encouraging circle can go a long way in motivating and maintaining focus when obstacles arise and celebrate your successes with you along the way.
- Take Action. Life and progress are all about the things that we do and not the things we say we will do. Take action, and get moving. You can and you will create focus and attention when you simply move the body. Focus your attention on movement. Movement creates progress and progress creates the goal!
It takes the right mindset combined with action to achieve a goal! You can maintain a passion and motivation and make your dreams come true, your future self a reality with these simple, focus-maintaining strategies.
My name is Len Benoit and I’m the owner/trainer at Fit 1 in Etobicoke. I didn’t invent this delicious recipe but I will enjoy it right along with the rest of you. If you are in the Mississauga, Etobicoke or Toronto and want more information about my Bootcamp, Clubbell Yoga, or Personal Training classes, give me a call at 647-776-7776 or visit the website at www.fit1bootcamp.com. Come in for a FREE 7-Day Trial membership and find out if FIT is right for you!